Lots of people become thinking about the field of neurofeedback after experiencing neurofeedback sessions or reading about it. You may well be wondering who could be a Neurotherapist, and how would one get started in entering the field of EEG biofeedback?

Neurofeedback Service Providers include:

1. Licensed healthcare practitioners
2. Institutions such as an Addiction Treatment Centers, Mental Health or Wellness Centers
3. Licensed educators and schools

Licensed healthcare professionals include, but are not limited to: Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Social Workers, Educators, Medical Doctors, Nurses and Physical Therapists neurofeedback treatment. You can find several states sponsoring House Bills that encourage alternative practitioners to work well with medical doctors without the necessity for a situation license. The first state to pass this important piece of legislature was New Mexico with their landmark House Bill 0664, the “Unlicensed Health Care Practice Act”, which took effect in 2009. This new legislature is evolving following a 1997 Harvard Medical School study revealed that Americans made 627 million visits to alternative medicine practitioners, and spent $27 billion of their own money to cover alternative therapies.

On the other hand, Americans made only 386 million visits with their family doctor. In New Mexico this new title is named a Complementary and Alternative Health Care Practitioner (CAHCP), and the domain of complementary and alternative healing methods and treatments include: Ayurveda, Detoxification Practices, Homeopathy, Holistic Kinesiology, and Meditation and Mind-body practices such as EEG biofeedback. Research the existing status of “Health Freedom” legislature in your state to read in regards to the varying requirements for licensure.

Institutions such as addiction treatment centers, mental health facilities, wellness centers and schools have licensed professionals on staff who is able to supervise a professional neurofeedback technician who may or may not have a clinical degree. You can find two organizations that offer neurofeedback certification: NTCB and BCIA. Both organizations offer a variety of certification programs depending on clinical degree and objectives, and have inked a great job of legitimizing and protecting the integrity of the neurofeedback field.

Once certified by either the NTCB or BCIA, the Biofeedback Association (BANA) offers their members group insurance rates for natural and alternative therapies including professional and general liability insurance plus prepaid conflict resolution. Medical professionals can instead join the Medical Biofeedback Association (MBACB) element of the International Medical Association for Natural Therapies (IMANT), because the BANA insurance plan doesn’t cover allopathic, chiropractic, counseling services, homeopathic, napropathic or naturopathic medical professionals. The MBACB insurance plan covers these professions.

Finally, you should decide about equipment and training. You can find a variety of choices on the market and you should do your homework. Check back for future articles about questions to consider as you look for a neurofeedback system.